Thursday, August 31, 2006
The Windows Eiffel Library (part of EiffelStudio) is migrating to Unicode. Here's a summary of the migration strategy:
- Starting from the 5.7.0826 development release, WEL has switched from being ASCII based to Unicode.
- All WEL routines that used to have an argument of STRING have been changed to STRING_GENERAL, which is a common ancestor to STRING and STRING_32 (the Unicode version of STRING).
- All WEL queries whose return type was STRING now return a STRING_32.
- For the 5.7 release, STRING_32 will convert to STRING.
- In the 5.8 release, this conversion will be made obsolete and in 5.9 it will be gone.
- This gives users some time to migrate their code.
- The migration strategy page at the EiffelStudio wiki gives more details, and describes handling for cases where STRING was used as an actual generic parameter